‘How can I make my hair grow faster?’
I wouldn’t lie; this question really grinds my gears. That is, it annoys me so much. Oh my goodness! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Why does it get under my skin?
Let me explain.
Only God can make hair grow faster. There is nothing you can do to make your hair grow faster.
There are things you can do to help keep your hair healthy and in most instances, healthy hair grows.
So the most you can do is encourage hair growth by maintaining healthy strands and a healthy scalp.
Making your hair grow faster is just not something that can be done. Stop running out to buy all the Indian oils and hair secret oils, which just happen to be most expensive too!
So how fast does hair actually grow?
According to research it seems hair grows half an inch or 0.5” in a month, on average, which means for some people it may be closer to ¼” or 1” in a month.
So in a year, on average, you can expect 6” of growth per year. That is approximately 15 centimetres.
What encourages hair growth?
- Washing hair regularly to cleanse pores
- Not scratching and scarring your scalp from scratching with nails and sharp objects
- Scalp massages
- Invert method (I’m skeptical still)
- Regular moisturising or oiling
- Use of vitamins including Biotin
- Drinking plenty water
- Detangling without putting too much stress on your strands
- Protective styling (not tightly. Too tight and you can have the opposite effect)
- Trimming split ends, but no one says it must be done monthly or quarterly.
Things that I also do:
- Air dry and dry my hair with a T-shirt not a towel
- Pre-poo my hair
- Deep-condition at least every two weeks
- Use my satin cap or satin scarf at night
- Wash my hair is sections
- Use the LOC method
- Seal my ends
- Stop using oils and products my hair doesn’t like
- Do low maintenance styles – Bantu knot outs and twist outs
- Ignore fly-aways. No toothbrush and gel on my edges.
What else helps with your hair growth?