This week’s loc queen has a stunning hairstory to tell. She is one who is balancing marriage, motherhood, migration and four seasons.
Welcome Donna R. Potthoff born in Barbados, but residing in Germany.
Black girl long locs in Germany
- Age 37
- How long have you been natural or transitioning?
Donna: NATURAL LOCS SINCE 2006
- Why did you decide to go natural?
Donna: JUST GOT TIRED OF CHEMICALS/BRAIDS ETC & WANTED TO ROCK MY OWN HAIR
- Why did you choose to big chop or transition?
Donna: FELT IT MIGHT BE EASIER TO MANAGE
- How easy or difficult was it in the beginning stages when you chopped or started your transition?
Donna: MY HAIR WAS REALLY, REALLY, REALLY SHORT WHEN I STARTED AND WHEN YOU START LOCS, YOUR HAIR GOES THROUGH AN *UGLY PHASE*…THOSE TWO THINGS I DIDN’T QUITE FANCY! I THOUGHT..jeeez MY HAIR IS GOING TO TAKE FOREVER TO GROW… [SK: Don’t we all? :)]
- What is your hair regimen?
Donna: KEEPING MY HAIR CLEAN, MOISTURIZED, TREATED, MASSAGING THE ROOTS, PROTECTING IT IN SEASONAL WEATHER (e.g. WINTER) BY WEARING HATS OR WRAPS (AS I LIVE IN GERMANY AT THE MOMENT), ESSENTIAL OILS ARE A MUST FOR MY HAIR (THEY SMELL GOOD, ARE RELAXING AND ARE GENERALLY GOOD FOR YOUR HAIR).
- Name your favourite products
Donna: JAMAICAN MANGO & LIME HAIR PRODUCTS
- How easy or difficult is it sourcing products that you love to use on your hair where you live or reside?
Donna: IN BARBADOS THEY ARE EASILY ACCESSIBLE BUT IN GERMANY WHERE I CURRENTLY RESIDE THEY ARE NOT A LOT OF STORES WHICH CATER TO MY HAIR TYPE, SO I BROUGHT PRODUCTS HERE WITH ME OR I BUY THEM FROM A HAIR STORE I RECENTLY FOUND HERE. I AM SURE IF I GO TO A SALON HERE THEY WOULD NOT HAVE A CLUE WHAT TO DO WITH MY HAIR, THEREFORE, I MANAGE MY HAIR ON MY OWN. PEOPLE HERE USUALLY STARE AT MY HAIR A LOT OR ASK HOW I GOT THEM DONE LIKE THAT. (SK: Oh how unfair that hair care and travel restrictions are NOT friends lol)
- What’s this store in Germany, in case others visiting need help too? Donna: GT WORLD OF BEAUTY…I usually go to the Cologne branch to purchase my items but there are also stores in Berlin, Frankfurt, Nuremburg and Stuttgart and also in Belgium and Paris… I was like a kid in a Candy store when I found this store lol
- Favourite style
Donna: HMMM…WHENEVER I VISIT MY LOCTICIAN (NATTY NAILS IN BARBADOS) AND SHE STYLES MY HAIR LOL (SK: We all know, when you find that hairdresser who sets out tresses amazingly, we are loyal and so grateful.)
11. Tell me about a great hair day or a bad hair day in short, or about a liked or frustrating feature about your hair.
Donna: IF I HAVE A BAD HAIR DAY, I WEAR A HAT…IT COVERS THE UNTIDY ROOTS OF MY HAIR (SK: God bless hats and scarves)
- Do you have any hair crushes?
Donna: ACTUALLY, NO…I JUST LIKE TO SEE NATURAL HAIR THAT LOOKS TIDY AND HEALTHY.
- What would you say to employers and teachers out there who think that natural hair is not for the office or the classroom, respectively?
Donna: AS LONG AS NATURAL HAIR IS WELL KEPT AND STYLED…NOTHING IS WRONG WITH IT AND CAN BE WORN…I WAS THANKFUL MY FORMER EMPLOYER ALLOWED ME TO WEAR MY NATURAL HAIR, ESPECIALLY MY CRAZY HAIR COLOURS LOL (SK: When we run into open-minded employers, it is such a breath of fresh air)
14. Describe your hair in one word, and why?
Donna: GIFT – NATURALLY GIVEN FROM ABOVE
15. Name something outrageous or edgy or just different you would love to try with your hair but have not had the guts to try YET!
Colour Addiction, she admitted
Donna: I HAVE DONE MANY DIFFERENT COLOURS IN MY HAIR BEFORE BUT I AM SURE I CAN FIND SOME OTHERS TO TRY, LOL! I THINK I’M A BIT ADDICTED TO COLOUR.
SOMETHING DIFFERENT WOULD BE SHAVING THE SIDES OR SOMETHING I HAVEN’T SEEN SOMEONE WITH AS YET AS I LIKE TO BE DIFFERENT
Locs and Marriage (like Love and Marriage lol) in Donna’s case go together like horse and carriage.
Some females want to go natural but they fear what their significant others will say, think or do, especially during the short/TWA (Teeny-Weeny Afro) stages and early transitioning.
Congrats on finding a good thing. God bless your union always!
So we asked Donna about her locs and her husband.
SK: How does your husband feel about your locs/were they part of the attraction? Donna: HE LOVES THEM, ESPECIALLY WHEN I HAVE THEM DONE UP IN MY WRAPS 🙂 HE WAS ATTRACTED TO THE ENTIRE PACKAGE, MY HAIR WAS JUST THE BONUS (wink)
SK: Do you ever worry about how your oil mixtures in your hair may smell to him and has he ever commented?
Donna: NO….CAUSE I KNOW MY OILS (WHICH I MIX ON MY OWN) SMELL GOOD…I LOVE PEPPERMINT…IF MY HAIR HAD AN ODOUR…FOR SURE HUBBY WOULD HAVE TOLD ME, THAT IS ONE THING YOU GET FROM HIM – HONESTY LOL
With that said, I’m glad to remind that great men/women still exist, don’t forget it readers!
Thanks for shairing Donna. All the best!